Just when I think I'm falling out of love with kale, it ends up with a leading role in my Vegan Challenge. I've been growing a bit tired of the super healthy leafy green vegetable and started phasing it out of my weekly groceries. Well, since my Vegan Challenge is all about expanding my culinary horizons and trying new things, I decided to give kale a second chance. For whatever reason, I'd never made myself a kale salad before but I thought this would be a great opportunity to give it a go -- and boy, I'm glad I did!
I'm not sure which I was more obsessed with: the kale itself or the cilantro lime dressing that I made to go with it. Regardless, I loaded it up with tons of fruits and veggies and made several batches to eat during the week, layering all the ingredients in mason jars to keep them all fresh. Kale salad seems so simple (and it was), but I was so proud of myself for re-discovering something new!
Green Superfood Kale Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 6-8 leaves kale, washed and finely chopped, stems discarded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 small cucumbers, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 2 cups cilantro, washed and stems discarded
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the salad dressing, chop the cilantro and garlic clove in a food processor along with the lime juice. While the food processor is running, add the olive oil in a stream and combine until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all salad ingredients and dressing and toss until evenly coated. Alternatively, you can store the ingredients in mason jars. Pour the salad dressing on the bottom first, then layer the ingredients separately, ending with the kale on the top. This should keep everything separate and the ingredients will remain fresh.